Friday, July 10, 2009

My Heart Is Broken

I am in shock. I just found out my vibrant, independent and beautiful 22 year old cousin died yesterday.

An autopsy has been done because no one knows what happened.

Here was this gorgeous young woman, nearing the end of college and looking forward to grad school and now she is gone. Really, it hasn't hit me yet. I started shaking when I got the news but never shed a tear. I have been at work all day, smiling and helping clients like nothing is wrong. I didn't ask to leave early. I mentioned her passing like it was no big deal.

I'd think something was wrong with me but this is how I have always dealt with things. My friend died in high school and after hearing the news, I put curlers in my hair, painted my nails and practiced my cheer routine for the next days competition. My cousin on my mom's side passed away and I didn't cry. In fact, when my mom cried and tried to hug me...I told her not to touch me. When my mom had a massive heart attack and died before being brought back, I didn't cry one tear until I was alone in the hospital bathroom and I bawled...then I emerged smiling. When I was told I had melanoma that would require surgery...acted like nothing was wrong. When my husband deployed? The only time I broke down was in the shower. As a kid, I remember when I got bad news, I'd go sit in my walk-in closet and cry alone. So numbness and solitude is what I do.

My problem will be what to say to her sister at the funeral. What do I say to my uncle, this tough Marine pilot who is burying his daughter?

I just need time to process...and as it always does, it will hit me and I will become a blubbering mess. But I will cry alone, in the bathtub or sitting on the toilet. Why can't I just learn to lean on people?

20 comments:

  1. Oh hun, I'm so incredibly sorry! I hope you find the words to talk your family. No words will make it easier, but I hope all of you can find peace in the coming weeks. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry your loss.
    How tragic to lose such a young, vibrant life. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your family's loss. What a tragedy. I am praying for you all.

    And for what it's worth, I cry alone, too. I don't know how to ask for help and I sure don't know how to get emotional in front of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's so horrible! I hope you guys can find out what happened. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope things go ok the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    Hang in there. The shower is a great place to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awful, my heart breaks for your uncle and your family, I cant imagine the pain in losing a child, no matter if they were an adult.

    I hope yall get some answers and take peace in your memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. What terrible news.
    I think all you can say is sorry and it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prayers are with you, darling. I know how it feels to lose a loved one suddenly- I lost one of my aunts on the day that Mr. Top Gun proposed to me. I didn't know he was going to propose, but then the phone rings and I get the news and he just looks like he wanted to die.

    You and your family will be in my prayers. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll thinking good thoughts for you and yours. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooo sorry. Your family will be in my prayers.

    I think everyone deals with grief differently, so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss and will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

    I definitely deal with things alone too. Sometimes I feel weird about it, but it's just how I do it. Don't feel weird or ashamed, just accept that it is how you do it. Much, much love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss!

    If it is any comfort at all I deal with things the exact same way. My mom passed away when I was 13 and no one saw me cry or break down and since then I've gone through several close family passings and I deal with it the same way every time. So I just think everyone deals with it differently but in the way that works best for them. I don't thinks theres a right or wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so, so sorry to hear this news.

    I think you have to deal with your grief on your own terms and there is nothing wrong with that.

    I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. What a tragic loss...

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart goes out to you and I will certainly be praying for you and your family.
    Everybody deals with grief in their own way, and your way is not necessarily the wrong way. As long as you know that you have people surrounding you that care about you and will be there should you need it, you can process what's happening however you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing anyone can say or do that will make this easier for you or your family but my prayers are absolutely with you. I think it is important that you give yourself set aside time to grieve and allow yourself to "go there" even if it is in private. I'm sure your uncle and other cousin will feel your love and support and that is the best thing you can give.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! I'm just now catching up on your blog. I am so sorry this has happened! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about the passing of your cousin mine passed away 2 weeks ago today and I am finally getting back to the point where I am not crying everyday and finally feel like doing normal things aside from laying down and arguing with God about how its not fair.

    ReplyDelete