Saturday, June 27, 2009

We can't afford ourselves - How will we ever be able to afford kids?


I have no idea how Mr. Marine and I are ever going to be able to afford kids.

We have a comfortable income, which provides us the ability to take a vacation, go out to dinner, buy nice things, etc...but we still argue over money. I know finances are a huge culprit in the demise of many marriages, so I am careful not to dwell on it too much. However, I am much better at budgeting and he is an expert at swiping the debit card. 

I just don't know how we are ever going to afford kids, when we can't afford ourselves. After all, I can swap food for a pair of designer jeans, but I have heard Child Services frowns upon swiping formula for Sevens...

12 comments:

  1. My husband and I stumbled into pregnancy and all I can say is you figure it out along the way. We now have to sacrifice things we really really want because well, I can't the Wee One not have diapers. That would be very, very bad. If you want them, you just sort of figure it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah kids are expensive! It takes a ton of sacrifice. I don't know how I'll ever be able to afford one either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that my children have brought far more joy and love into our lives than any pair of jeans or shoes ever would. We've totally sacrifices a lot, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Your whole perspective on life changes when you have a baby, and changes in such an amazingly wonderful way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha!! I swear you and I were totally meant to be best friends, even if it means "Best Blog Friends!!"

    Mr. Top Gun and I have been discussing a baby Top Gun, and it looks like once we get to Japan, we will try... Hey, I'm not quite sure I can give up my Chanel glasses and purses for diapers- yet , hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my husband and I decided that if you wait until you can afford children you'll never have them. So we just had ours and always did fine financially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just recently had our first and I felt the same way you do. But we decided to just go for it and figure it out as we went. And let me tell you, now that I have my little angel I hardly ever think about buying stuff for myself...you priorities do change and I like it that way. And we never have time to go out to eat or go away so that's not even an issue:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah greatest title ever!!! Ohhhh i agree with anonymous --- you guys will be ABSOLUTELY fine!!!


    i'm the same way when it comes to spending money/shopping though... it's gonna be a very rough transition from me me me to kids kids kids. But I think we'll manage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often wonder the same thing! I agree with everyone else, when you have kids you have to sacrifice other things. However, I just don't think I'm at that point in my life yet, nor will be for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I TOTALLY understand what you're saying. Life is expensive in itself, how in the WORLD does it work when kids come into play? My hubby also likes to swipe that card (often) and is terrible at budgeting. Finally, after going to see a financial planner (who has become our money guru!), he was convinced that I should probably be the one to handle our finances/pay the bills. And it's great, we hardly ever fight about money like we used to!!

    I think ya'll are originally from GA right? Our lady is in Alpharetta and AWESOME! Good luck, you'll get it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you all the way! The hubs and I could barely afford ourselves, but we were comfortable, so we decided to have a baby. We've definitely had to give stuff up, so we can afford a baby, but it's been worth it. I was always pretty snobby about my clothes and shoes and makeup, but since the little one, that's just gone away without me even realizing it. Now I don't even think twice about picking up formula and diapers for the baby at Target and also picking up a few shirts for myself there rather than heading over to Gap. Your mindset just changes without you even realizing it. It's kind of weird how that happened now that I think about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't someone say if you waited until you could afford kids you would never have them? I think they're darn expensive and even more so as teenagers. BUT- somehow that doesn't seem to matter with the joy they bring and it all just works out!

    ReplyDelete