Monday, October 5, 2009

Birth Control B!*@%

It's gonna get a little bit personal here ladies...but this is my blog so I'll do what I want!

I have been having a terrible time losing weight, so my GYN decided to try switching my birth control from Yasmin (which I was on for 3 years) to...

Since I have been on this Loestrin (all of 1.5 weeks) I have become an awful wife. I'm argumentative. I'm loving one minute and a standoffish beotch the next. I thought it might just be an adjustment period to a new pill but I called the doc today. 

I informed the nurse that I am "a horrible person since I began taking this pill." 

I'd rather be a bit plump than have the constant urge to punch Mr. Marine in the face. I knew it was bad when I told my mom today that I'd rather go home or rent a hotel room than be around him right now. Poor guy didn't do a damn thing to me!

Has a switch in birth control ever made any of you ladies become an angry mongrel? 


20 comments:

  1. Yes, with the ring. I also gained 25lbs from taking the ring despite working out 5 days a week. I gave 6 years to work with BC all different kinds and had every problem under the sun with it. I do natural family planning now and have finally started to lose weight again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I was on Loestrin one and it made me a completely different person. I was an emotional monster and I had the worst physical effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I have not experienced this, not that i am using BC right now...but prior to becoming pregnant i hated the pill. it made me cranky and moody, but in the way that i hated my fiance. crazy how drugs can do that to you! i hope you get something that makes you a nicer wifey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on Loestrin and it made me gain. not that I needed any damn help with that!!! I'm super at it on my own!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohh i get so cranky on the pill. I was like that with Yaz. And then i switched to the nuvaring and LOVE it! Its so funny how different BC's work for different women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on Yaz for somewhere between 3-6 months and every month it gave me horrible PMS. Horrible! I wanted to absolutely kill Mr. T and the poor guy had done nothing! I had to get off of it because it made me so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I was just thinking that my pills just might be why I'm not losing weight and why I'm totally losing my patience with everyone in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been on Yaz a little over a year and it made me VERY moody but once my body got used to it I was fine. Was on loestrin to try to regulate my periods a couple years ago and I actually bled for 30 days straight. OK, maybe that was too much info~

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can totally relate!!! i was on yasmin for 5 years, and never had a problem with it though many of my friends did. my insurance changed when i switched off of my parents to my new job's and yasmin cost me $75 a pop, so i made the switch to something my ob/gyn recommended - loestrin!!! it was AWFUL. i was a heinous b*tch and terrible to be around! and i gained about 4 pounds on it and i am one of those people who cannot gain weight easily, so i knew something was up. good luck switching to something else! i know it's an awful feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of BC to begin with, but I started Loestrin 24 Fe last year (my first experience with BC). It made me SAD. I was depressed and very "blah" for two weeks before I stopped taking it. I couldn't deal with it any more.

    Now I'm trying my second one (a year later...hubby was deployed), Ocella (generic Yaz). We'll see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, absolutely. I got way more hormonal when I first started taking BC, and it took a long time for me to "level out" and get "used to" such high levels of hormones. It's been probably 4 years since I started taking Seasonale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am on Yasmin and don't notice being irritable or moody, but I have been on it so long that I don't know anything different. My Dr. explained it as don't mess with it if you don't have to, but it is worth it to find something else if you aren't happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg. I was totally a huge Beotch to Mr. Top Gun when I was on Yaz! I would look at him and just want to punch his face, then sometimes I would curl up in his arms in a ball of tears... I was a freakin hormonal mess! I have tried other forms of BC before, and non worked. I always felt sick, nauseous, moody and just bloated, so that is how I came across Yaz. BAD CHOICE! I decided to stop using it about a year later, and the day I woke up and didn't take that little pill? I was a new woman!!!
    I felt like I had come out of a 'haze' and within the month, I was back to feeling like my normal self again. I also have been on the pill you are currently taking, and that it prob. one of the only pills that worked with the slightest side effects for me. Apparently, my body has a reaction to BC pills and my Mom went through the same hell I did when she was younger. Now, Mr. Top Gun and I use natural family planning and it is working just fine for us.
    Besides... We are ready for a little Top Gun soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh! I was on Yaz for 2 months and it turned me into a depressed mess. I was irrational and hormonal--2 things I am normally NOT! I am on the ring right now and love it, but we have also used fertility awareness as birth control and being hormone replacement free made me feel fabulous!

    Rest assured you are not alone. The wrong BC can mess everything up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't become angry courtesy of my BC, but it has made me a hysterical mass of snotty tears. I was on Levlen and for one week a month life was sweet. For the other 3 however, I became completely irrational and prone to tears. The thing was, even though that's about as far from normal for me as can be, it still took me about a year to realise it was the BC... I'm not bright, ok. So I switched over to Loette - a low dose hormone and it is SO much better. I can watch daytime tv without crying now, for example...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never been on either of those but it sounds like those hormones, or levels of hormones don't agree with you! I was on ortho-tro LOW for about 4 years and loved it but when I switch insurance companies it went up from $10 to $40 a month so now I'm on Aviane. It low hormone as well and the only thing I get is a little bloating from time to time. Good luck and get off that pill!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe try ortho tricylcen lo. I've been on that for 6 years, never had a problem with weight gain or mood swings! Good luck. BC sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to be on monolithic (or whatever it is called when you have a steady dose of hormone, not the increasing amount like ortho tri-cyclen) birth control otherwise I become completely erratic and cry at a moments notice. Awful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes! When I recently switched I was VERY moody and constantly going up and down in weight!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gahhhh Ortho Lo made me INSANE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete