Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Today is Thursday, right?

Life has been kinda rough on me lately and I can tend to fall into a slump without my friends and family around to give me the kick in the pants I so often need.

So today I am going to do as my Mimi advises and "pull myself up by my socks and deal with it." 

So instead of wallowing in a sea of pity, or stressing about things I cannot change...I am going to remind myself of things I am thankful for - the truly meaningful to the truly trivial.

 - First and foremost...I am thankful for Mr. Marine. Sure we argue but I wouldn't want to be arguing with any other man. I married the man that I love and the lifestyle I am tying to tolerate. But as the song goes, "I'd rather live in his world, than live without him in mine."

 - My dearest friend and fellow Marine wife - I have never made friends easily. I don't open up to just anyone and I have been hurt more by "girlfriends" than I have by the men I have known. So when I began the rotten job of moving every few years for the Marine Corps, I was really worried. Then God put this angel in my life and we have become more like sisters than just friends. I miss her everyday...but thank goodness she lives in my hometown so I can see her more frequently. 
 - My dog Riley has been my salvation. Sounds silly, huh? I rescued this dog when I was in college and since then he has seen me through some rough times. Cancelled engagements, hurricane evacuations, dad's failing health, mom's heart attack, relocation to NC and a deployment. He always seems to know when I need him. He has created so much laughter in my life, but he has also sat on the floor with me when I just needed to bawl my eyes out. Plus, who can't love a dog that let's you put him in outfits like this?
 - I am also thankful for Mystic Tan. I used to bake in the sun, and with my Portuguese ancestry, I tanned like no other...Then came melanoma...BOOOO! But thanks to Mystic Tan, I can look good without the skin cancer!

 - I am thankful for my job, or jobs...I wish I made more money, but don't we all? I am lucky enough to work with great people in an awesome industry!

 - Last, but maybe most important (along with Mr. Marine) is my family. My mom and I couldn't be closer. She is my very best friend and I adore every minute I spend with her. My daddy (and step-daddy) are the best. Some people are bitter over step parents...I feel like I got loved by the best 2 men out there! I also adore my in-laws...I couldn't have found better ones!

OK...I am in  a better mood already!

10 comments:

  1. I love this. "Thankful Thursday" Everyone can always be a bit more thankful. And that picture of you and Mr Marine is too cute!!!

    *but then again, it could be because you're wearing UGA Bulldawg colors and you're holding a Georgia cup. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally inspired by your "Thankfulness" even though, I really understand how easy it would be to wallow :( Love what you said about how you may argue with your husband, but you wouldn't want to be arguing with anyone else... me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes m'am! I bleed black and red, weekends between the hedges, you really can't get much better than that! And GA vs FL is basically my reason for living in October. Yay for fellow dawg fans!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I love your jacket and its not just becasue your are holding a Georgia cup. And yur dog is too cute. I understand the whole being away from your family and friends kinda sucks and the whole change in life style can be tough as well. Its all is finding your own space, by the way I still have my girls on the things to do in St. Louis. Thus far I have rejected a few, because I don't think you'd be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesnt it make you feel good thinking about everything you are thankful for. I love Grace in Small Things for reminding me on a daily basis.

    Love the reindeer costume!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, and I totally know how you feel about your dog being your salvation at times!

    With the army keeping hubs from me all the time, I find myself having deep conversations with my puppy. hahah :) just kidding. sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post :)

    Especially the Mystic Tan part... haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the post. I hear ya sister, its tough out there for a mil wife. My pug is my best friend when the Mr. is MIA, he's the best thing ever. I rely on him more than he'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the post, I should take a lesson here and list the things I am thankful for on a more regular basis. It is so much easier to be dragged down than to be hauled back up... by our socks no less. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Loved the reindeer... my little dog loves his clothes, too 8)

    ReplyDelete