I am not going to get on my soapbox about our current President or his "campaign promises" that led so many Americans to vote for him. But in light of his new War/End of War projections..I'd just like to say "All military personnel and their families could have told you this was a big joke on Americans."In fact, today Obama is to announce his strategy at the sprawling Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where thousands of Marines are soon heading to another war front, Afghanistan.
That's right silly citizens. All you who voted to "bring our troops home" are getting a good chuckle out of us military spouses. Our husbands will just be going somewhere else in the Middle East. But you won't hear about that on CNN, NBC or ABC.
The men and women who serve you will still be put in danger, we will still have loss of life and we (the spouses) will still have an empty seat at our dinner table for years to come.
Furthermore...in case you were wondering..."Even with the drawdown, a sizable U.S. force of 35,000 to 50,000 U.S. troops will stay in Iraq under a new mission of training, civilian protection and counterterrorism."
Right again you gullible bleeding hearts, we will now be "peace-keeping" in Iraq. What does that mean, you may ask? It means my husband will be over there (in that place Obama said they would all be leaving ASAP). He will be there monitoring their country and making sure they aren't trying to blow up an American building.
I know this is a rant, but it was what I felt most strongly about during this election. I knew people were being misled by this charismatic "leader." The military community knew he wouldn't pull us out completely and he shouldn't. We knew he was shifting focus to Afghanistan. We knew our troops would still be in Iraq (just like we peace-keep in Africa, etc...). And it infuriates me when people (friends and family included) talk about just living in peace. That isn't realistic.
You want realistic? Realistically, my husband would rather be in Iraq than Missouri. My husband emails his buddies in Iraq with jealousy, because he'd like to be there with them. My friend's husband shed a tear when he signed his papers to leave the Marine Corps. They love what they do and they do it because they know the value and importance of their missions.
Sure, I want Mr. Marine home all the time. At dinner every night. Sleeping-in with me every morning. But that's not his job. People don't plan and launch attacks on this country between the hours of 8-5, M-F. And if he isn't going to the Middle East, he'd be on a MEU somewhere in the middle of the ocean ready to take Americans out of Lebanon, or bring food and supplies to tsunami affected islands.
Obama will never bring all of them home so stop believing him or any other lying politician who is just trying to pull on your heartstrings.
You want to hear something truthful? Here is the truth...The military men and women serve...all hours of the day...every day of the year. They serve and they serve so you don't have to.
Be thankful.


Amen Sister! Love this post and love your blog!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteWhen we saw the 50K "sustainment force" we had to chuckle. I mean, that's what, 10 brigades? Nothing to shake a stick at!
I love your blog and enjoy reading it but I must disgree with you on one point. I don't think all of us "silly citizens" (or atleast us who voted for Obama) were living in some fantasy world where we thought Obama was going to come in a save the day and send all of our wonderful troops home(I hold our troops in the highest regard and appreciate everything they do for our country)and make the world all sunshine and rainbows...I wish people would just come together and give this guy a break...he is trying to make positive progress with country and I think the least we could do is give him the benefit of the doubt..If he's shifting focus to Afghanistan than so be it, that's where it should have been in the first place.
ReplyDeleteI in no way want to offend you or your husband..I truely enjoy your blog but I believe it is good to share if we have a difference in opinions.
Right on!
ReplyDeleteAmen and amen! I am so proud of our military members who keep plugging away day after day year after year in one god-forsaken country after another. Good for you for speaking up and speaking out. I think we need more of that.
ReplyDeleteLove this post!
ReplyDeleteAmen, and amen!! I find it wildly hilarious that people are so exciting that "he is finally bringing our troops home!!" when they fail to see that they are coming home only to redeploy to Afghanistan. I don't understand how people can be so completely ignorant (thank you media!).
ReplyDeleteI got so many ridiculous comments during the election season about how I should vote for Obama because he would bring my husband home from war and McCain would just send him over there to get him killed. People really just don't get it!
where are you guys stationed? you're near stl right? Scott? I'm going to be back up there in april near belleville from one of my college roomies.
ReplyDeleteLove this post!! So honest!
ReplyDeletePreach it, sister!! My husband feels the exact same way...he actually joined the military with the hope of being deployed.
ReplyDeleteLil' Woman: military families would be more likely to give the "benefit of the doubt" to someone like McCain who has YEARS of actual military experience...
Amen! You said it so well. After having Sen. Clinton and John McCain come through the facility where I worked with wounded troops, and then having Obama cancel because media was not allowed, I will never have respect for him as Commander in Chief. He has my prayers, but that's about it. The CinC side is totally different when it is your husband's life is on the line.
ReplyDeleteAmen - I COMPLETELY agree and am so glad I read this post this morning (okay, afternoon....dang it, i'm lazy).
ReplyDeleteI truly think so many Americans missed the boat on this one - so sad as we're in for a really bumpy road ahead.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not with my marine anymore, but I know the sacrifices and I know they live and breathe for it. Not supporting the troops is what hurts. We don't have to listen or like what the president and government says, but we should always stand behind the people in uniform because they do things we never could.
ReplyDeleteYour post is spot on!
ReplyDeleteI came via Maggie, and scanning thru here, I had to stop on this post.
ReplyDeleteYou speak so well for our servicemen and women. Our son is a Marine also. Well, IRR status now. He lost his job in the wind industry due to the Lehman Bros collapse, and hasn't found a job since. His heart has always been with the USMC and only got out becuz his fiance wanted him to when she did! He's a Major now, and readying himself with PT workouts to go active again within 2 months if nothing presents itself in the civilian world. He won't go active now, as he believes he must be as fit as the rest of them...he knows if he does activate, where he'll probably go.
Being a Mom..I don't want that...but also being a Mom...I am the proudest one around..of his commitment and love for the USMC and his brothers!
I'm proud (and scared!) for ALL of our troops!
Here's a toast to you Lady! Your Marine has to be proud of you too!♥
Semper Fi