Dear runners,Can you please tell me how to breathe? When I go for runs, which is not often because of the problem I am about to mention, I have horrible side-stitches.
I can never seem to get a deep breath when I am running. Obviously, this isn't normal but it makes running miserable for me.
I can handle the leg cramps. I can handle sweating (though I hate it). But I can't handle not being able to breathe.
Please help me.


NO NO NO!!! I thought we were sticking together. You cant start running!! Then I'll be the only one that can't!!
ReplyDeleteVery common problem. First, make sure you eat a good meal in advance. I found this to be helpful. Never run on an empty stomach, but also never run right after eating. Um, also, stretching beforehand is crucial. I know a lot of people (myself) when they first start running think that the first few minutes of running are enough of a warmup, but it's not (guilty party here). You have to stretch out your muscles so that your muscles don't tighten up within those first few minutes...and form side stitches.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I experienced. Hopefully that helps; I mean, you might have known all of that already, and are still having them. I hope that's not true, but if it is, I'm sorry!! I don't know what else. Those are just the things that helped me!
Happy Trails! :)
When I was running a lot and got a stitch, it always helped to "run through" a stitch. Slow down, but keep running and the stitch will resolve. It will be uncomfortable and you will be breathing like a crazy person, but it will eventually stop.
ReplyDeleteA stitch is a spasm/cramping of the diaphragm and erratic breathing is often the cause. Look up breathing techniques for running and see if that helps :)
Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. When I was starting, I "gulped" air and it made me get cramps like none other!! I started breathing in for two footsteps, and out through my mouth for three steps.
ReplyDeleteIn through your nose and out through your mouth. If you breath in through your mouth the whole time you are actually constircting airways and your body goes into panic mode bc it thinks you are sufficating. even though you aren't. Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteI've tried the whole "breathe through the nose and out through the mouth" thing, but it doesn't work for me. I feel like I'm suffocating/not getting enough air. With the stitches, I've found that putting my arms up while running (I fold them over my head kinda) gives it a nice stretch. I'll also kinda massage it out.
ReplyDeleteThe other thing that it could be (at least for me) I'll get stitches when I start out and I haven't been running much and I push myself too hard/go too fast. Maybe try slowing down just a bit when you get them and they'll pass. Stick with it -- it does get better!
In through the nose... out through the mouth, in for two steps, out for three. If you feel like you can't get enough air, try breathing in like a heavy sigh and then FORCE as much air out as possible, this may throw your pace off for a second, but you can pick right back up. Sometimes, if I get a cramp, I will use mind over matter and think of sending the oxygen directly to the cramp- that may sound crazy, but it works for me. There is also a great running podcast on iTunes called "couch potato to 5 K". I used this program after ACL replacement to build my stamina back up. It is fantastic for those who want to run, but have never ran before. Check it out!
ReplyDeleteOIY! I'm with High Heels on this one... not another one!!! ;) I recently posted about this running craze happening to our Mil Spouses...running should only be used for survival! tee hee... keep up your exercise... it's always a good thing. =)
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that helps me is stretching
ReplyDeleteThis is going to sound crazy but it works wonders for me. When i run and find myself getting short of breathe, i'll create a rhythm for my breathing (kind of like a pregnant woman giving birth) i know, it sounds crazy but it works. For example i'll do two short breaths in, and then two short breaths out. I don't keep this up the whole time i'm running, only when i'm trying to focus on my breathing.
ReplyDeleteI think rhythm has a lot to do with successful running. That's just my opinion though. It'll all "snap" one day! You'll see!
I can't help. This never happens to me. I can say, I have asthma so breathing in through my nose, never happens for me! I don't run really long distances though. I usually just do like 3 miles. 4 at the most. Sorry!
ReplyDeleteAnother one for- in through the nose and out through the mouth. And try to think calming thoughts so you're not gulping air.
ReplyDeleteI think that you may want to try adding some bananas to your diet? The potassium may impact stiches in your side? Definitely do some side bends before running too.
Actually it does matter if you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth or Breathe in and out of your mouth
ReplyDeleteFamed New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: "Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can."
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-245-0,00.html
Hope this article helps!