I am having a really difficult time dealing with things today. I think my life is going out of control so I am going to blog about the man who keeps my heart happy in the most difficult times.
A few of y'all asked how Mr. Marine and I met, and if I knew he was "the One" right away. So here is my favorite love story that led me to my other half...

My family owned a cottage on an island off the coast of Georgia. I was there for a family reunion during the summer of '97. I was 16 and finally able to drive around with my older cousin. Her friend remembered partying at a guy's house the summer before and suggested we go try and find the house (and the guy). Well, at 11pm, we knocked on the door of a what we hoped was his home. Turns out, his parents were out of town and he had some other guys over. Well, I set my sights on Mr. Marine (who had GA frat boy hair and was not a Marine).
We hung out that week. We said we loved each other. We were 16/17 and in love. I told my mom, when I got back home, that I met the boy "I was going to marry." She laughed.
We kept in touch. I went to college in CA, he went to UGA. He dated. I dated. But we always said it felt like we were cheating on each other even though we weren't together.
He called me in college and told me he joined the Marine Corps, and I said, "I am proud of you. But we will never be together now. I will not be a military wife...especially not a Marine wife."
We lost touch. The war began and so did our random correspondence. I would email to see if he was in Iraq. He would email me to tell me he wasn't...yet.
I was very serious with my college boyfriend. But we were having problems. Mr. Marine said he wanted to see if we were still meant to be, before either of us settled down with other people. He, against my initial wishes, flew to Houston. I told him I was taken and he had lost his chance. He flew there anyway.
He came down the airport escalator and I knew he was "the One" just like I knew it 8 years earlier.
I ended my relationship. Mr. Marine ended his. He proposed 6 months later. We got married 6 months after that.

We are coming up on our 3 year anniversary. We have proven the doubters wrong.
Many said it wasn't love, and he just wanted me because he couldn't have me...he still wants me!
Some said I'd never survive the Marine life...I am holding my own!
Truthfully, he is my soulmate. I knew it at 16 and I know it at 28.


Sweet story! Good for y'all for being able to overcome the odds! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story!! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story!
ReplyDeleteThat is a super sweet story..aww!!
ReplyDelete"GA Frat Boy Hair"...goodness, if that is not the truth.
ReplyDeleteThis story is so...pretty, if that makes sense. It's exactly what a love story should be. A few twists, a few turns, and a happy ending! :)
What a beautiful love story!!! I am dating someone in the military and we met at 15 as but didn't get together then...6 years later we started dating...our first date was my sister's wedding...weve been together ever since..2 and half years later:) Soo happy for you and your blog definitly gives me hope that the life of a military wife isn't as bad as others may think!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet! Congrats to you guys for being tough enough for the military life. If you can do this, you can do anything! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story!! And I hope everything you are dealing with gets better!!
ReplyDeleteOh that's such a sweet story!! I love happy endings :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, what a sweet story, I think I almost cried. Following your heart is always the best policy.
ReplyDeleteThat is the best story - ever! Gave me cold chills ;-) xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh what a wonderful story!!! Its like a movie!
ReplyDeleteOh how cute:) I love the last line that you wrote.. so sweet!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! And PS- What a GREAT dress!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is an amazing story!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story about a beautiful couple. And whatever is going on...Hang in there.
ReplyDeletehow sweet!
ReplyDeletethat might be the best story ever
ReplyDelete